Christopher Hargill’s Gravestone
The large slate headstone and footstone for Christopher Hargill (ca. 1695 – 1748) are excellent examples of the work of the John Stevens Shop of carvers in Newport, begun in 1705 and still in business today. Christopher’s stone is signed by William Stevens who carved a stylized angel with wings, a symbol representing a messenger between heaven and earth, or a guide to the afterlife. Why Christopher is buried here is a mystery because he is no direct relation to the Casey ancestors. Research tells us that his father of the same name was something of a troublemaker in Newport, having been fined for drinking and singing in public and keeping his blacksmith shop open on days the governor declared closed for thanksgiving. We hope to add to his son’s story. The enhanced gravestone image was captured using RTI photography.